Tuesday, February 5, 2013

drugstore makeup: a love story



(Did it come through that I tried to make a heart-shape out of some of my favorite drugstore products...No?... Oh well.) 

I would consider myself an equal opportunity makeup user. I love Chanel. I adore Laura Mercier. I gotta lotta MAC. But I also love drugstore makeup. In fact, there are certain drugstore favorites of mine in which I have yet to find a comparable department store dupe. And why would I want to?

Here are some of my favorite drugstore products that I have in my collection right now.

Face


I use to think foundation and concealer haaad to be department store brand. And while I do have many favorite high-end foundations, concealers, and powders, I also have some cheap ones that I find just as reliable. 

1. L'Oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup *great for combination/dry skin *dewey finish *very blendable *medium coverage
2. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Concealer Kit *dupe for the Laura Mercier "Undercover Pot" *creamy and blend-able *2-in-1 concealer and setting powder
3. L'Oreal Magic Lumi Concealer *dupe for YSL's "Touche Eclat" concealer/highlighter *brightening *lifting *doesn't settle into fine lines
4. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder *keeps shine away all day *smooth/not chalky 
5. Revlon ColorStay Foundation *full coverage *range of colors *sets quickly and stays all day

Eyes



I like some of these eyeliners more than their expensive counterparts!

1. Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner *dupe for MAC Fluidline *will absolutely not smudge *sets quickly *comes with liner brush
2. NYX Noir Collection Liquid Liner *thin applicator brush for precise lines *stays all day *very black
3. L'Oreal Lineur Intense *dupe for the Lancome Artliner *precise felt-tip applicator *lasts all day *very black
4. Milani Color Brilliance Eye Liner Pencil  *dupe for some of the MAC pearl color pencils *glides on, doesn't pull *stays in the waterline *highly pigmented

Left-Right: Milani, L'Oreal, NYX, & Maybelline



With few exception, I don't believe in high end mascara. Right now, these are my favorites.

1. Maybelline Volume Express The Falsies *buildable volume *does not flake or transfer *removes easily with makeup remover *deep black
2. CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume *volumizing *no clumps...ever! *does not flake or transfer *deep black


Lips



One of my favorite products to buy and try from any brand, high-end or low-end, is lip products. While many of these lip products were after thoughts while picking up toothpaste or deodorant, they have become fast favorites!

Because I have soooo many favorites in the lips category, I won't detail each one. But I will say that they are all great and below you will find color swatches of some of my top picks.

NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss. L-R: Beige, French Kiss, & Sweet Heart

Revlon Kissable Balm Stain. L-R: Cherish, Honey, & Rendezvous

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter: L-R: Red Velvet, Sugar Plum, & Berry Smoothie

NYX Slim Lip Pencil. Top-Bottom: Burgundy & Pale Pink


If you have tried any excellent drug store products that you think I should know about, let me know! I'm always interested in trying something new. I would really like to try some nice drugstore blushes...I've heard good things about Rimmel. Another post?

Glad to be back on the posting wagon. Expect new posts from me this coming week!

Til next time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment