Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Simple Apple Tart



Fall makes me think more fondly of apples than any other time of year. So, I decided to find a recipe for an (easy) apple tart that would utilize the amazing Gravenstein Apples that are locally available to me. 

To give credit where it is due, I found this recipe here. I did, however, make a few additions that I think added a little bit to the recipe. 


You'll Need:

1 sheet of puff pasty cut in half

4 cored apples - skin on
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
A dash of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of salt
lemon juice
powdered sugar

1. let the puff pasty sit for 20-25 minutes so it is slightly flexible
2. preheat your oven for 400ยบ
3. thinly slice all of the apples- this is a long process without a mandolin...
4. mix the apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and let it sit for a bit
5. cut puff pasty in half and place on a non-stick baking sheet, or a silpat—which is, in fact, the best baking tool around
6. arrange apple slices along the puff pastry. Overlap them as you go.
7. place in the oven for 25-ish minutes or until golden brown
8. remove pan and dust with powdered sugar. I served it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, and I used the juice left over from the apple mixture to top the whole thing off!




This apple tart is light and the apples maintain a crispness that makes this recipe even better than apple pie. 
Apple Tart with Straus Ice Cream


If you need a quick dessert, this is it!

Til next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment